Sunday, 1 January 2012

52 songs, 52 stories

So what is this?

 It's a simple idea, really. Each week in 2012 I'm going to pick a song, usually at random. I'm going to write a very short story inspired by that song, and post a video for the song and a story here.

Fifty-two songs, fifty-two stories. First one will be up on Jan 1st.

What made you decide to do this?

A combination of two things that happened at the back end of 2012.

I was involved in a project called Off The Record, which is a charity anthology edited by Luca Veste, featuring stories from a host of excellent authors (and me) with each story inspired by a classic song track. Taking the opportunity for a plug: thirty-eight stories for next to nothing (Amazon UK | US), it's a bargain, and all the royalties go to charity - the National Literacy Trust in the UK, and the Children's Literary Initiative in the US. I contributed a story inspired by Hendrix's Purple Haze.

Around the time that Off The Record was released, I discovered a really entertaining blog called A Month In Music, written by Alex Watson, and based on a very simple premise. He had thirty days of music in his iTunes collection, 10,513 songs. He switched iTunes to shuffle, pressed play, and wrote about what he heard. The result was a very well-written, sweetly melancholy blog that riffs off the songs played across the month to talk about music, and memories, and how life turns out as it goes past, and I thought, I'd like to do a regular project like that. Something that commits me to writing something on a regular basis (but not an insane one, considering other writing projects that I have on the go).

And so, putting those two ideas together, this is it.

So, who the hell are you?

I am me. I write stuff.

 I like the photo in your header. 

 So do I. It's part of a larger photo from stock.exchng, and credit for the photo, and thanks for permission to use it, go to the photographer: mn-que.

No comments:

Post a Comment